Monday, December 12, 2005

HAS WAL-MART RECONSIDERED?

Since our membership and attendees live in a 25-30 miles radius, Sister Karen and I visit some of the stores in that area. We were in Wal-Mart in Camden, TN last Sunday evening and I gingerly said, "Merry Christmas" to one of the employees. Then I asked him about the policy on using the word Christmas. He said, "well we are just trying to follow orders and he said, 'Happy Holidays'." This past Saturday, Karen were watching a TV commercial and, low and behold, the commercial had "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays" in large letters and at the bottom there was Wal-Mart in big letters. Has Wal-Mart reconsidered or are they playing the "locale" game - that is, telling their managers to use their discretion as to what they do according to their location?

Anyway, I was in Wal-Mart early this morning getting some things (sorry to those who are boycotting Wal-Mart, its about the only place here to shop with any diversity of selections). I said, "Merry Christmas" to one of the employees and he responded back "Merry Christmas thats what its all about." Then as I checked out, the clerk very openly began to talk about Jesus and that He is the reason we celebrate. It was a relief to me but I am still not sure about the policy from the powers that be over the Wal-Mart stores.

Today, Sister Karen and I traveled to another area to visit and while there we went in to Fred's, Wal-Mart and Dollar Tree (a good place to buy small gifts for children and adults too) to do some CHRISTmas shopping. Fred's and Dollar Tree has a selection of items that relate to Christmas and there seems to be no problem with using the word Christmas. Surprisingly at the Wal-Mart in Paris, TN (there are 6 in about a 35 mile radius of our home) we heard Christmas music (not just secular but Christian). This is a bit confusing to me and I'm wondering if anyone knows any more about this. If you do, please email me or hit the comment link below and inform me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

No comments: