Thursday, February 02, 2006

TODAY'S THOUGHT AND PRAYER - BUSY

No one will deny that we live in a fast paced society. Communication is at an all time high with telephones, cell phones, ham radios, CB radios, Internet email, Internet Instant Messenger, Faxing, television, and radio. Cars drive faster than ever. Planes fly faster than ever. Busy, busy, busy seems to be the by-word of people today. Some will say they remember the olden days when life was more calm and less fast-paced. They talk about wanting to be in those days again. In reality those days are gone. The past 100-150 years has brought about the greatest changes in the world of science, technology and industry. The past 50 years has brought even more fast-paced changes. Busy, busy, busy is still the word today.

These times bring on changes in the church-world as well. This means that the church needs to move forward in ministry to reach the world we are in. While we here at Huntingdon Church of God of Prophecy are seeking God through intensive prayer and outreach, there must be consideration for how these prayers are going to move us into ministry in our area. Local church ministry is the watch-word of the hour. Each disciple of the Lord must find their place in the giftedness that God has placed upon them. As pastor, I am seeking to help equip those who recognize their giftedness and desire to move forward in that ministry. There are local ministries in teaching, leading worship, ministry to children, ministry to youth, ministry in care groups, men's ministry, family ministry, women's ministry, communication's ministry, etc. The Lord may place a ministry on someone's heart that is not specifically mentioned here. The church is open to God-given ministry of any type. In seeking to labor in our giftedness, scriptures come to mind. These may not be the typical scriptures that are used in dealing with giftedness. These scriptures speak of our daily walk with the Lord.

Jesus came to do His Father's business - "wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49). He was totally immersed in His Father's business. The main thrust of his ministry was "to seek and save that which was lost" (Luke 19:10). That would be accomplished by his sacrificial death, burial and resurrection. He continually focused on his relationship with His Father, "As the Father knoweth me, even so I know the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep" (John 10:15). His life was a life of prayer and meditation - with the Father. He went into the wilderness and fasted and prayed and "returned in the power of the Spirit" (Luke 4:14). All that He did reflected the Father's will and anointing of the Holy Spirit while He was on this earth. He taught his disciples to pray, "Our Father."

In our day of fast-paced living, a close relationship with the Father is still a must. Jesus prayed this prayer in John 17: 20 "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. 24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them."

Someone has said that just being busy is Being Under Satan's Yoke. Let us declare with our Savior, "know ye not that I must be about my Father's business." He came to do the will of His father, stay in close relationship with His father through prayer and meditation, teach and preach the gospel, seek and save the lost, to finish the work which the Father gave Him to do. Does our business reflect these goals in whatever ministry God may gift one in?

"Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for the powerful relationship with You that is provided through your Son, Jesus. Thank You that I can know you in such an intimate way. Thank You for the prayer that Your Son prayed, "that the love wherewith thou hast loved [Your Son Jesus] may be in [me]. Hallelujah! That is such a glorious, awesome fact and feeling - to have the same love in me that You loved Your Son with. O Mighty God, help me to love others with that love. Help me to seek You daily and be about Your business - to stay close to You, to pray and meditate, to minister the gospel, to seek and share the saving grace of our Savior with thost that are lost. Help me to finish the work you have given me on this earth. To those who are seeking You for the giftedness You have placed on them - let them be sure that You want them to be close to You, have Your love in them and be busy in Thy field of labor. May we boldly declare that we are BUSY, Being Under the Savior's Yoke. "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls" (Matthew 11:29).

No comments: