Saturday, August 05, 2006

MEMORIES OF GOOD FRIENDS

About three weeks ago our big, lovable, golden retriever, Gabriel (along with our fluffy white maltese, Samson, and black and tan fiest, Bandit) got out of their back yard pen. We drove all over the town for hours the same night and next day but Gabriel and Bandit have not come back. About 11:00 pm on that rainy night, Samson, walked up on the porch drenched with rain, drooping his head sadly. We asked him where Gabriel and Bandit were but he didn't answer (a little humor keeps this from being too somber). We have called the local animal patrol and also notified the animal shelter in McKenzie but to this date Bandit and Gabriel are not home. Below is a picture of Gabriel but we don't have a picture of Bandit. If anyone reads this and knows anything about them, please contact me at this number 731-209-4176. I have also written some of memories of Gabriel.


Samson, our little warrior, came back home but he did not tell us where Gabriel and Bandit went.

MY FRIEND GABRIEL

Gabriel was the clumsiest puppy I have ever had but one of the most loving. He fell off of the porch and broke his back leg and had to wear a caste for about 6 weeks. He got okay and continued to grow into one of the largest pedigree Golden Retrievers I have ever seen. His paw is as big around as the palm of my hand and I have average size hands. Gabriel could give you some of the most goofy, hilarious looks that made me laugh often. He would come and stand at attention every time I came outside the back door or near the fences on each side of the yard. Gabriel never offered to bite any person but he would stand his ground with any dog, even though he was not a fighting dog. I saw him take down a German Shepherd and hold that dog down by the throat, even though he got bit bad on his legs. I believe he would have died fighting for me and my family.


MY FRIEND GABRIEL

Gabriel would rather play fetch than eat. Even when I brought out his food he would fetch with me as long as I threw the ball or the stick. He would sit on command, shake paws (hands). When I came out back to do some work he would be right in my tracks or in my face, even when I pushed him away he would be right back. Gabriel loves children and the kids at church would come by and pet him. He loves snow, water, mud - anything that is wet and he would make a mud bed every time it rained.

Needless to say we miss Gabriel and Bandit. Bandit was our little barker. He barked every time anything or anybody moved a hair. We laughed when we first got him because we thought he sounded like a seal barking. He was very loving and friendly as well. He never offered to bite any person, but got after Samson a lot for pestering him.

We hope that wherever they are, they are okay and well taken care of. We hope to see them again but if not we enjoyed the 12 years we had bandit and the six years we had Gabriel. We are glad Samson is home but we sure miss the others.

No comments: