Wednesday, April 26, 2006

AZUSA STREET CENTENNIEL

For the next few days, I will be copying and posting our State Overseer's notes from the Azuza Street Centenniel in Los Angeles. This is a great time of meeting for Pentecostal Holiness groups as well as Evangelicals, Charismatics and others. You can go to the BLOG here Voice of Hope


Yesterday was certainly a long day. I flew out of Nashville in the late evening (so I could get some work done before leaving town) and had a layover in Minneapolis. When we lived in Montana, we used Northwest Airlines to go just about everywhere outside of that region, so I have been in that airport many times, and knew my way around it pretty well. I arrived in Los Angeles at 1:00 a.m. and then had to wait about an hour and fifteen minutes for my luggage to arrive at the baggage claim. Finally, the drive to the hotel was about another 30 minutes…who would have believed how heavy traffic is at that time of the night? Nashville traffic doesn’t seem so bad now. At any rate, I arrived at the hotel at almost 3:00 a.m.

I have a full day scheduled, had to get up and get going early to register for the Azusa Street meetings, and, oh yes, the traffic is still heavy.

I wish that all of you could be here to experience the 100th anniversary celebration of the great Azusa Street revival. If you remember your history, the Church of God was mostly a “holiness” movement until G.B. Cashwell came to preach at the Cleveland church and A.J. Tomlinson was baptized in the Holy Ghost. Although we had experienced a movement of the Holy Ghost at the Shearer Schoolhouse in North Carolina in 1886, the momentum of what has made us a holiness/pentecostal church started right here in this city.

As I looked around last night, I could see people of seeemingly every tribe, nation and tongue all around me. I pray that another Pentecost can break forth and help us to finish the work…remember Acts 1:8, “ye shall receive power….to be witnesses…” That promise/obligation is still in effect.

Please pray that I have a safe and healthy meeting here and that God will grant traveling mercies as I return later this week. May God bless and keep each of you

No comments: