Saturday, November 10, 2007

Tribute to Pastor Glen O'Kain

I was saddened recently but rejoice as well that fellow pastor Glen O'Kain went to be with the Lord. Pastor O'Kain was a friend and faithful fellow Pastor. He Pastored the Dickson Church of God of Prophecy for at least 15 years to the best of my knowledge. His funeral was November 6th. Time, distance and ministry hindered my wife and I from attending.

Brother Glen and his brother were born with a rare kidney disease that causes death at a young age in most people. His brother died at a very young age. There was little hope for Brother Glen to live beyond his early twenties. However, Brother Glen was blessed to live until the age of 54 and was the oldest surviving dialysis patient in the Southeastern United States. Brother Glen lived to get married, have children and grandchildren. Thank God for men like him who live on for the Lord regardless of the suffering, the many trips to the doctor, the hospital and being on dialysis three or four days a week for several hours each day. Brother Glen not only Pastored a smaller church, he worked at times to provide for the needs of his family.

I remember stopping at McDonald's in Dickson on one trip and Brother Glen was there working to provide for his family. He greeted me with a smile and said, "why Brother Milton, it is good to see you." He waited on me and then we chatted about 10 minutes. His conversation was focused on the Lord and his family. After we shared together, we shared prayer needs in our families. His thoughts and desires were to please the Lord and see his family provided for and serving the Lord.

When I Pastored my first church as a young man of 25, Brother Glen's father, Roy, gave me some part-time work as a carpenter's helper framing houses. I'll never forget this, since it was a time of financial need in my family.

Thank God for Pastor Glen O'Kain. O how that heavenly realm must be glorious compared to the sufferings he went through. He will be missed. . . . but "go rest high on that mountain (heaven's mountain) son [of God] your work on earth is done, go to heaven a shout'n love for the Father and the Son."

No comments: