Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

This has been a great Thanksgiving week for our family. I am so thankful for family and for our time together. This past Sunday after Youth Convention at Camp Hickory Hills, Karen, Sarah and little daughter Aviana and Jason were at the Crossroads Church of God of Prophecy Thanksgiving Meal after church Sunday. They enjoyed being together with their Granny (my mother) and two of their cousins, Hannah and Kelsey.

Yesterday and today has been a great day to be with family. Yesterday, Karen and I traveled to White Bluff. just across the highway from Crossroads Church of God of Prophecy to be with my mother, sister and her husband. After a great time together and a fabulous meal prepared by my sister, mom loaded her things for me to take her back to Crab Orchard, Tennessee. I enjoyed a great time with my Brother Tony, wife Pascha and twins Carrie and Anna. Mom's brother Denver was also there.

Karen and I have done something a little different this year on Thanksgiving morning and since we don't have children that we carry with us where we go any more, we decided to be with our aging mothers this year. Karen enjoyed a great time with her 80 year old mother, her oldest brother and family as they had a meal out at Golden Corral in Clarksville, Tennessee. She said it was great being with her mother and some of her family. We both got back to Nashville together around 2:30 pm today.

I called Shane on the way back from the mountains and wished him a blessed Thanksgiving. He was visiting friends in Franklin, Tennessee. He told me that he spoke to Danita (our oldest) who is in Africa on a mission trip and that she is doing well and boarding the plane back for home tomorrow - with some great stories to share, I'm sure. I also called Heather and family and wished them a blessed Thanksgiving. They were having Thanksgiving Day and meal with Sammy's parents Bishop Wayne Hall and Sister Wanda and the grandchildren.

As I drove down I-40 from Cumberland Plateau, I began to think of the blessings that God has bestowed upon this land and upon many of our families across this country. Yet, as I came back into Nashville, I wondered how many did not even have a meal to eat or place to be out of the weather. I wondered how many children need someone to love them and care for them. I saw a short clip on the news where a young man (his last name was Gordon) had stolen from the Salvation Army contribution container. He was weeping as he told that he and his girlfriend are homeless and that he stole the money so they could have a meal and a place to stay overnight. As he wept, he said, "I don't even know where she is now and I'm worried about her." I wondered about this as I saw tears coming down his face as he wept openly. I don't know why they are homeless and I am not his judge but I know there are many who are in need, not only in this land, but in other countries too.

Tonight, Karen and I are in a warm place with food to eat and one or our granchildren (Aviana) with us. We are truly blessed. . .Let us not forget in our blessedness to "remember the poor" (Galatians 2:10). Not just in our thoughts but in our "bowels [heart] of compassion" (1 John 3:17) to share and give to those in need - not just so the giver can feel good but that being thankful can be truly manifested.

If we are truly thankful - we will truly give. . . .Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus
, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

No comments: