Thursday, December 18, 2008

Profundities From the Apostle Paul

2Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

It has been said, "the greatest gift in the privilege to give." This was evident with the church at Macedonia." Paul says of them, "2 Corinthians 8:15 ¶ Brothers and sisters, we want you to know how God showed his kindness to the churches in the province of Macedonia. 2 While they were being severely tested by suffering, their overflowing joy, along with their extreme poverty, has made them even more generous.3 I assure you that by their own free will they have given all they could, even more than they could afford.4 They made an appeal to us, begging us to let them participate in the ministry of God’s kindness to his holy people in Jerusalem.5 They did more than we had expected. First, they gave themselves to the Lord and to us, since this was God’s will." GWV

The Macedonians were desirous to give even in their "extreme poverty" to those Christians in desperate need in Jerusalem. With the persecution and ostracizing of the Jerusalem Christians came great temporal need. Those in Macedonia were "extremely poor" as well but they understood the joy and blessedness of giving. The Apostle Paul commended and then admonished (not commanded) the church at Corinth, "2 Corinthians 9:1 ¶ I don’t need to write anything further to you about helping the Christians in Jerusalem. 2 I know how willing you are to help, and I brag about you to the believers in the province of Macedonia. I tell them, "The people of Greece have been ready to send their collection since last year," and your enthusiasm has moved most of them to act. 3 I’ve sent my coworkers so that when we brag that you’re ready, we can back it up. 4 Otherwise, if any Macedonians come with me, they might find out that you’re not ready after all. This would embarrass us for feeling so confident as much as it would embarrass you." GWV

He emphasized the greatest gift of all. He reminds them in 2 Corinthians 8:9, "You know about the kindness of our Lord Jesus Christ. He was rich, yet for your sake he became poor in order to make you rich through his poverty." When we think of the greatest gift of all we are constrained, yes moved with compassion, to give. He gave the best and the most to us.

So at this time of the year when we remember the gift that God (Emmanuel, God with us) gave we are thankful that "God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son." No matter what words are used, "unspeakable gift," or any other words, no words have the power to describe the greatest gift of all. That is what Paul said, "unspeakable." What more can I do but give myself and all that He has given me or made of me. Just as the Macedonians who, "did more than we had expected. First, they gave themselves to the Lord and to us, since this was God’s will."

God knows what one can give but most of all we should give ourselves. As the "Little Drummer Boy" song says, "I have no gift to bring, Shall I play for you, ba rum ba bum bum on my drum." He brought himself and what he had. So I bring myself, with all the faults, with little else to bring and joyfully proclaim, "Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift!

No comments: