Thursday, November 27, 2008

SPECIAL DAY

Today, Karen and I are enjoying being with my mother who is a young 78 years old. She has been up cooking and doing her daily activities. I want to take this opportunity to give love, honor and respect to my mother. She has been a "beacon" in my life. She often worked two jobs when I was young to support me and my sister. There have been some memorable moments as I grew up with a very special mother.

I remember one time when we were in Dickson, Tennessee where mom was paying some bills. As we walked along down Main Street about to cross the railroad tracks a five dollar bill blowed by us. We looked all around us and there was no one within 50 yards. I took off runing after the five dollars and grabbed it. I was about 8 or 9 years old and I knew my mother was having a difficult time paying some bills. She looked at me and smiled and said, "You better be glad you can run faster than me." Then she laughed. I looked at the five dollar bill (which was about like a fifty now). Then I grinned at her and held it up to give it to her. She smiled at me and lovingly said, "Thank you son." I knew she needed it and felt like a "million" dollars after I gave it to her.

I ask her today if she remembered that time. She said, "Why shore I remember it, I don't forget things like that." She just now said, "Thank you again son." She gives and gives and gives. If I could give my mother a million dollars it would not be enough to repay the life she has given me. I THANK GOD for a godly, loving mother.

She has traveled many miles for the Lord singing the gospel, serving in the local church in many voluntary capacities. She continues to sing to her Savior and teaches the Senior Adult Class at her home church. She may have some "odd, unique" ways but I can attest that she loves the Lord and serves Him from the heart - she has a heart after God.

When her life here is over and her time comes to go, I feel assured the angels will bear her over to the heavenly shore. Yet, she always says, I'm not worthy - only through the shed blood of Jesus - which is another reason why my mother is so special.

Accolades may be given to many on this earth but I give my respect, honor and love to my mother today and every day. Man may keep many records but only God keeps good books. God will reward her for all her faithful works to Him and the many on this earth.

No comments: