Sunday, October 28, 2007

Huntingdon 60th Year Ministry Celebration

Sixty years have passed since the church here at Huntingdon had its beginnings in the late 1940's under a brush arbor, later a tent, then a basement and then the sanctuary. According to the best information that I have, the church began under the ministry of Bishop, and then, District Overseer Omer Lawson with the assistance of Sister Lois Guire and others. The church now has a nice parsonage along with the sanctuary and purchased a 7.5 plus or minus plot of land on Northwood Drive, near the by-pass. The property was purchased about 5 years ago and was completely paid for last year. The church is now in the process of praying, planning and preparing for the development of the new property.

Below are a few pictures of today's fellowship, along with pictures of Bishop Eugene Weakley and wife Juanita Weakley. I apologize for not getting pictures of the guest singers, Sisters In Grace. I took the pictures after the worship, singing and preaching and some left before the time to have fellowship and food.

Our precious folks enjoying the fellowship of one another.
More fellowship and the food was great and plenty of it.

Plenty of food and plenty of fellowship. . . .

Bishop Eugene Weakley and Sister Juanita Weakley. Very dedicated Christians who love the Lord and His people.

Bishop Weakley started his preaching ministry in 1948, just one year after the church at Huntingdon was organized. He has served as Pastor, District Overseer, Regional Overseer, General Appointee and State Overseer of Tennessee. He recently (2003) wrote a book entitled, God Keeps Good Books, an autobiography of his life and ministry. Former General Overseer, Fred Fisher requested that he write this book. I have read the book and it is full of sound maxims, wholesome humor and some great history of what God can do (and continues to do) with someone who submits to His will and obeys Him. As I read the book, my wife would hear me chuckle and ask, "what are you laughing about?" I'd say, "I'm reading Brother Weakley's book" and then keep on reading. I must say, "I laughed with him," as he told the humorous things that happened to him throughout his ministry and "I cried with him," at times when I read of the sacrifices of those who even gave the "coat off their back" (in the middle of Winter) to further the gospel of Jesus Christ. Thank God for Brother and Sister Weakley.

No comments: